Brewery Kimmel was established in 1815 in Old Riga as small, local brewery. In 1850 the brewery moved to Bruņinieku street where new factory building was built. This brewery was the first steam powered brewery in Riga. In 1920-1930 the factory occupied the whole quarter. The brewery worked until 2002, when it was moved out of Riga center. Few years later the company went bankrupt.
In 2005 architectural competition was carried out for development of this area. German company Benisch&Partner won the competition, but technical project was not developed.